Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Reclaimed + Repurposed Granary Roof Planks

We were incredibly fortunate to come across some beautiful reclaimed lumber last fall. These amazing boards are reclaimed roof planks from a local Minnesota farm, specifically from the granary that was being torn down.

I get so excited {almost giddy} about the character, grain and history of reclaimed lumber. I always envision the boards when they were new and all the labor that went into constructing the structures that they would call home. And then I think about all the storms that they weathered, the brutal snow storms and the intense Minnesota thunder and lighting shows. I'm so glad that we are able to use these boards for another purpose now, it would really be a shame to have seen these beauties burned or sent to the dump.

We have made a few different pieces with these boards as of late, a couple tables and a few signs. The character and color of this wood is simply stunning! {even more so in person}



Here is a 5-foot coffee table/media stand that we just finished with the reclaimed planks.
{I actually found the wire baskets a few months ago and bought them with the intent of building a table that they would fit perfectly under}

This table matches the side tables that we finished a week ago. You can see those tables here.


A closer look at all that character! I lightly sanded away all the rough spots so that the surface is smooth to the touch, while still maintaining the fantastic patina.



Here is a custom sign that I recently had the pleasure of creating for a customer, I used the same roof planks on this piece too. I can't get enough of the contrasting metal and warm chocolate wood tones.



That's all for this girl today.
I have an amazing dresser makeover to share with you next...until next time!

Crystal

4 comments:

  1. VERY cool! What a find! I salvaged some wood recently from an old house tear down, so my heart is with you on these boards. I love how you have repurposed them. Would you consider sharing this project and your navy empire dresser at our weekly furniture-themed party, Friday's Furniture Fix? I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! I will drop by your party this Friday!

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! Would it work as an entryway bench, too? I have a little console table in my entryway now and I think a more substantial bench with storage would make more sense. Not sure Jim would agree, but it doesn't hurt to look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a bit too high to use as a bench...I think it is about 22" high. We can certainly make a bench style! Let me know if you convince Jim!

      Delete