Wednesday, March 2, 2016

American Empire Dresser

Ok! I don't know how to fully articulate how happy yours truly was when I picked up this dresser. I was ecstatic! No beyond ecstatic...I was crazed. I have been lusting for an American Empire dresser for what seems like a hundred years. I was in complete shock that I had found one and even more shocked when I was lucky enough to get to bring it home and add it to my decor.

You know that feeling when you have something that has been on your want list for a LONG LONG time and you finally get to make that want a reality...that is how I felt about this dresser. I know most people wish for more important things and you probably think that I'm half nuts for having a dresser on my list...but that is how I roll. Call me crazy, you're probably right!

---------------------------

This guy was in fair condition considering it's about 200 years old. As usual, the drawers definitely needed some repairs and somewhere along the line someone had done a poor job of trying to refinish it so there was shoddy work that I needed to make right. 


I'm pretty sure the wood on the drawers is curly maple and it was jaw dropping gorgeous. To let the wood shine, I just took the old finish back to the natural wood and sealed the drawers and the knobs with ASCP dark wax. The finish is smooth like butter on these babies now.


I painted the body structure in ASCP Graphite and sealed it with wax too.


That wood on the drawers and those chunky legs are so lovely. {heart throb}


I thought about replacing the knobs with something more splashy but I think the large wooden knobs look great and don't distract from the natural beauty.


Now I can check this style dresser off my want list...except I would love to get my hands on another...I sense a problem!

I'm starting on some really outrageous spring projects...some new ideas and bringing back some favorites from last year. I'll be posting new things in the upcoming weeks as well as information on my spring and summer show schedule.

I thank you for stopping by the UP blog today and checking out my latest project. Take care!
Crystal

5 comments:

  1. I had to click over from Karen's link party and see your project because I have this dresser too!!!!! Isn't it awesome! :) the drawers hold so much. I'm super tickled to see you found one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, love the wood drawer fronts. Thanks for linking up to the Talk of the Town party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the contrast of the black paint with the stained wood - it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it at Talk of the Town. I pinned it to the Knick of Time party board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal! Your dresser is gorgeous! I love how you painted the frame, and left the drawers. And the knobs are perfect! I can totally relate to crossing off furniture on my "list". I just did that with my new "old" planked farmhouse dining table. Would love for you to stop by and check it out:) Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete