Sunday, August 9, 2015

Driftwood Cedar Chest

When I started the makeover on this project I had a vision to create a warm driftwood look with layers of texture and depth. 

That was the vision...but actually getting there was more challenging than I thought. I went through every stage of the creative process...

image credit,

It's a funny graphic, but sadly, it's all too true for most of my projects! Ha!

Anyhow, back to the Cedar Chest, here is how I accomplished the driftwood look:

First I gave the entire piece a real rough coat of ASCP Country Grey. By rough I mean not thorough and in a real whimsical fashion, imagine brush strokes in all different directions.

When that was dry, I waxed the entire piece with ASCP Dark Wax.

Then I washed the entire piece with ASCP Graphite and wiped the wash back leaving just a hint of the graphite.

I sanded a few spots, areas that would typically show wear and tear.

Finally, I waxed the entire piece again with dark wax and gave it a nice buffing to make the finish shine.

I went back and forth on whether or not I should paint the cute feet, but ultimately decided that leaving them natural and giving them a quick coat of dark wax to freshen them up would highlight them the best.

I'm smitten by the layers and texture that I achieved on this cedar chest. I guess the morale here is to keep pressing on when you have a vision and hopefully it all turns out just like you had hoped!

Thanks for stopping by!

Have a great week,

No comments:

Post a Comment