Monday, January 26, 2015

Classic Drexel Desk + Bench Makeover

This weekend I tackled this desk..and yes, it too is a Drexel. Seems like I've picked up several Drexel pieces lately. Honestly, I search them out pretty heavily because I've yet to meet a piece of Drexel that I didn't love. {sometimes the act of refinishing it makes me questioned my love, but that is short lived} Whether it's a dresser, buffet, side table, desk or vanity they are just so well made that it's really rewarding fixing them up to a more desired and current look.


Here are the details of the project:

This first thing I did was remove the drawers and begin refinishing them.{they were stained so dark you couldn't see the beautiful wood grain and had some pretty harsh surface scratches too}Once they were all cleaned up, I used a nice warm Kona stain and a couple coats of satin poly to seal them thoroughly. The insides of the drawers were in great shape and they slide in and out perfectly.

Based on the nice color on the newly refinished drawers, I decided to paint the entire desk body and the bench with Annie Sloan Graphite. I love how rich Graphite looks with a generous coat of dark wax. I did distress some of the areas to reveal the old dark finish beneath...the effect you get after waxing is my fav.

For the bench, {which didn't actually come with the desk, I picked it up from a good friend a couple weeks ago} I removed the old fabric and replaced it with a nice updated dark grey pattern to complete the set.

Both pieces are really quite stunning!

Here are a few more pictures...thanks for stopping by and happy Monday!







No comments:

Post a Comment