Saturday, August 30, 2014

Duck Egg Dresser Makeover

What a fun day I had finishing up this dresser makeover with my assistants Marge and Greta. Between throwing the tennis ball, filling the plastic pool and keeping the water bowls full...we successfully captured some photos of my latest project.

My guest assistant is Marge {or better known as large Marge}, my brother in-law's 3 year old rescue dog from Colorado. She's a 100lb lover!

And my regular assistant is Greta, my 4 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Now that the formalities are out of the way, let's get onto the project!
You can't tell from these after pictures, but this dresser was in pretty tough shape when I hauled it home. This was one of those projects that I regretted taking on from day one because it needed so much TLC. After letting the misfit dresser sit in the garage for several months I finally got the nerve up to tackle the issues this past week. 

I started by glueing, clamping and filling the drawers. While they were drying, I gave the body a quick coat of ASCP-Duck Egg Blue.

Then I tried to fit the drawers in place only to realize that the repair work on one of the drawers just wasn't working out so well. After I exchanged a few choice words with the problem drawer---I simply had to toss the problem child. {sometimes there is nothing I can do to fix some of these pieces and I have to move on to plan B} Plan B in this situation was to use some plywood and make a shelf in the vacant space. I was lucky to find a coordinating fabric to line the shelf with and make it look more finished.

After I gave the top a light sanding I used Minwax Tung Oil to give the wood a natural look and feel, while protecting and highlighting the beautiful wood grain. You can pick up Tung oil at most hardware stores, I picked mine up at Home Depot.

My next lucky break was when I found three baskets that fit perfectly on the new shelf I had made. {maybe this misfit was going to turn out after all}

And finally, I had these gorgeous ceramic knobs in my arsenal of hardware. I think these look better then the original pulls.

Here are just a few more pictures of the completed dresser. I'm amazed at how cute she is now...I certainly had my doubts along the way!


Thanks for posing for the photo Marge.
{what a ham}

Have a great Labor day weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I have one in my garage that I have been putting off. You just inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the color, baskets, and especially the assistants :). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love how your dresser turned out. The duck blue is such a great color and leaving the top in the stained wood is a perfect combo. I think having the baskets on the bottom just creates more interest with great storage options. I would love something identical to this in my Kitchen as a coffee bar!

    Deb
    @Seeking Lavender Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color and the baskets - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you adhere the fabric to the shelf?

    ReplyDelete