Friday, May 30, 2014

Buttery Yellow Spoon Carved Dresser {Arles}

The grass is green.
Trees are leafed out.
Lilacs are blooming.
Summer is in full swing and we know what that means...
...it's garage, auction and estate sale season!

And that is where the story begins for my latest makeover. There was no passing up this cute spoon carved dresser...no matter how much work it was going to take to make it functional again, it deserved to be brought back to life. It's an absolutely amazing dresser, dating back to the late 1800s. How do I know that? A sure sign is that the drawers have Knapp Joints and that type of construction was only used between 1870 and 1900...so IT IS OLD! {a little factoid for today}

I knew almost immediately that I would paint this beauty a soft buttery yellow with some white highlights to give the flowers the attention they deserve. It turned out better then I ever expected! I think this is one of my new favorite makeovers.

Thanks for stopping by today to view my 100th post!!!

Linking up to
Chic California
Savvy Southern Style
Pieced Pastimes
Knick of Time
My Salvaged Treasures
Beyond the Picket Fence












5 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. I love that soft yellow. Thanks for linking up to the Be. YOU. tiful link party. Hugs :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely. Would love to see a before picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, you did a really gorgeous finish on this piece! I didn't know this was called a spoon-carved dresser. Is it because the carving is shaped like spoons, or because the carving looks like it was taken out with a spoon? It's lovely.
    I also wanted to know what Knapp joints are? I have a piece that has drawer joints that no one, even carpenters seem to have ever seen.
    You did another beautiful job. I'm local to you and want to get to Luckett's too, to check things out. You've got me scheming for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect, this is just what this old beauty needed. Thanks for sharing at VIParty best of 2014!

    ReplyDelete