Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Mocha Dresser Set {Custom ASCP Color Mix}


I've been meaning to try and create a nice rich chocolate brown concoction for sometime now. So when I found this really nice dresser set, with the clean lines that I really wanted, I thought it would be the perfect subject to get to work on!

The inspiration for the color comes from all the dark antique coffee {driftwood-esque} styles that I see at some of the big retailers these days.

The awesome thing about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is that it mixes really well together, enabling you to create an entirely new pallet of colors. I landed on a mix of Olive, Primer Red and Graphite. {here is the mix ratio}


As usually, I removed the hardware and got to work. I painted the base with the custom mocha color, then I waxed it with straight dark wax, immediately followed by a wash of Coco. After wiping back the Coco, I let both pieces dry overnight. {this is what it looked like at this point}


The next morning, I sanded it back just a bit to expose more of the darker undercoat. Then I proceeded to give it another coat of dark wax. {here it is at this point}


The final step was to find some great new hardware to bring the piece up to date with it's new look. This step can be the most painstaking because I argue with myself about what direction to go. After a bit of searching, I finally decided that some antique brass cup pulls.I think they look fantastic and complete the look I was after!









That's all for today!

Stay warm.

1 comment: